For SmartForest, 2022 was a blooming year full of activities, data collection, collaboration amongst partners, and innovation creation. The SmartForest consortium consists of the most important
actors in the Norwegian forest sector, covering the value chain from the planted seedling to the mill gate, combined with leading research institutions in Norway and abroad. SFI SmartForest aims to improve the efficiency of the Norwegian forest sector by enabling a digital revolution that transforms forest information, silviculture, forest operations, wood supply, and the overall digital information flow in the sector.
Some highlights from last year:
- To create innovation is one of the main credos for SFIs. The first innovations (i.e. ForestSense) resulting from the centre are now being tested by the industry partners.
- The SmartForest team works intensively on knowledge dissemination, and we were busy participating in conferences, seminars, fairs and partner events. We actively share our activities on social media. Follow us!
- In 2022, we expanded our team and hired two Postdocs and three PhD candidates.
- A large number of students were involved in field campaigns for data collection last summer.
- We had our first internal conference “SmartForest days” happening in September 2022, a two-day event with over 60 participants from all partners. We presented ongoing work and first results, had hands-on workshops to try some of our developed tools, and a field trip with stations on forest management, drones, forest roads and digital twinning.
We are looking forward to a new exciting year in SmartForest, and we believe that 2023 will be the next leap for output of both scientific production and innovation creation. All partners have great ambitions for applying technology and innovative solution to support sustainable forest management in Norway. We believe that intensive collaboration between research and industry is decisive for the success of the centre and the development of a strong Forest-tech sector in Norway!
The Annual Report of 2022 is available for download here